Thursday, February 09, 2006

Travel Series: Examined Life: Part I


Paz means Peace

An unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates.

I have been called many things in my life, but recently the adjective that has been thrown around is wanderlust. I’m not quite sure if that is a good thing or bad. For many people I know it seems like I just picked up abruptly and left my normal day to day life for a trip around the world. But that is farthest from the truth. I’ve been planning to do a lot of traveling for a couple of years now and bought my tickets 6 months ago. To truly be at peace, I think it is very important to constantly examine my life and reassess the goals and values I have come to accept. I suppose I can see how it appears as though I am wanderlust. But who says I can’t do my self examination in Mexico, Belize, backpacking in Europe, Nigeria, Lebanon, and Spain? Transplanting myself into another culture has definitely been a catalyst to rethink some of my routine, outlooks, and aspirations.

This trip was something I felt was necessary as I transition to a new phase of my life. The past few months I have made many sacrifices to make this trip happen. As a result I appeared distant to many of my friends and community. The strain of this along with actively assisting my family, working, and finishing school lead me farther and farther away from my peaceful self. I was a machine outputting and inputting with little emotional satisfaction, I felt cold hearted. When I reflected it was a bit alarming because I couldn’t figure out how I got to this point.

Once I sat down and thought about it, I was in a similar state of being when I started college. The four months prior to college, I encountered 2 deaths, near fatal sickness of my grandfather, totaling my first car, and no where to live for college. It felt like everything that could go wrong was. I couldn't see the silver lining in the chaos. While all of this was going on my friends were having lots fun testing their new found independence upon entering college. I could barely stand to eat full meals let alone go out and have fun.

Then I received a postcard in the mail about a trip called Wilderness Connection. The details of the trip sound so great and fun. The trip consisted of backpacking though the Sierras with exercises challenging human interaction and perception of cultures. It instantly appealed to me, so I submitted my interest. When I got the detailed information for the trip, it was way too expensive for me to afford. It made me a little sad that money was going to be an interference in going on the trip. But I am a firm believer that when there is a Will there is a Way. Shortly after I received notification that I would receive a scholarship, drastically cutting the cost. It was a wonderful experience. I was challenged physically and mentally. I was the youngest, most out of shape of the group, first to get a blister, and one of the prissyiest on the trip(Don’t hate me because I smuggled toilet paper on the trip LOL). During the day I was challenged physically, by night I was challenged to examine my life and the lives of others on the trip with me. It was 6 nights and 7 days of no bathroom or shower, traveling miles to our new resting area where we repelled off of a mountain, rock climbed, and basked in the beauty of the nature around us; all while toting 60 pound backpacks effortlessly. Surviving on the bear necessities, relying on the companionship and support of fellow adventurers; helped me see the silver lining in the chaos and gave me strength to challenge my weaknesses when they arise. I have no idea how my sanity would have been without the opportunity I had to examine my life at that point.

So to all the people that have told me lately that I’m wanderlust or lucky to be on a vacation, when there is a will there is a way. I know its not feasible for everyone to take off as much time as I have to do my self discovery but don’t let that stop you from taking the chance or risks it might take. You can always do something for yourself on a smaller scale. I’m happy that I have made the sacrifices to be where I am. I’m doing some serious reflecting and working to make me a stronger person and package when I settle down and stop traveling.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home