Thursday, February 09, 2006

Travel Series: Drive Slow

"Drive Slow Homie, Drive Slow Homie,You Never Know Homie.... You need to pump your breaks and drive slow. Live today because tomorrow man, you never know" -Kanye West

Driving slow is definitely not an active practice in Mexico. It's funny I used to think L.A. had bad driving but the term defensive driving has nothing on Mexico's driving community. Today the cab driver was in the far left lane and already crossed the intersection but managed to still make a right turn, by driving head on, diagonally into on-coming traffic and then veering into the correct lane in the street. Regardless of feeling like I was on Mr Toad's Wild Ride, it was great feeling to sit back and relax and let someone else do the driving.

Many times in my daily compacted routine, I wish I could have someone else take the wheel so I could utilize every and any moment possible to accomplish my daily tasks or assignements. Call me a Workaholic if you like, but I can't help but compact my schedule. If you ask most drivers in Los Angeles, you can get to any part of the city in 2o minutes. In all reality things are a lot farther than a 20 minute drive. Sometimes those 20+ minutes are just way too long dead time. Do you know how many phone calls I can make, meetings I can have, quality time spent with a friend, paintings I can work on, books I can read, photos I can take, blogs I can write, etc in the time it takes me to drive around congested Los Angeles? Well this is a great treat to let someone else do the driving so I can sit back, view and experience the world around me allowing it to truly seep in me and inspire me. Too many times I think I'm so concerned with completing as much work as possible and multitasking every moment of my day that I don't allow myself the time to chill and just "Drive Slow."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home