Thursday, February 09, 2006

Travel Series: A Different Type of Painting Project





A Different Type of Painting Project

Today I went to the cemetery with my family to visit my Uncle Beto. I think the last time I visited was 10 years ago. It was very interesting to sit back and see my family interact with my Uncle and his neighbors in the cemetery. Over the years they have formed a relationship with the neighbor as well because he died on the same day as my Uncle. My aunt brought a ceramic angel painted gold to place on top of the tomb. I repainted the inscription on the tombstone because it was fading. This is something my Aunt and Grandma do often because the paint fades. My mom and myself felt like this was a lot of work so she suggested getting a plaque made.

As we looked around we noticed a lot of tombstone were bearing the same angel we perched atop my Uncle’s tombstone. We all felt it would be nice to make his tombstone different and stand out because he was a very special person to us all. My aunt suggested placing a baseball figurine near the angel. That’s when I got the idea to make an extra special addition to the tombstone that could not be replicated. I’m going to make a portrait of my Uncle that reflects his personality. I have so many ideas running though my mind, I just need to figure out how to make it weather proof. I am excited to use my talents to create something so special to my heart.

I didn’t expect to get as emotional as I did. Once we were done beautifying his spot, we all said the Our Father and Hail Mary. After we prayed together, my mother prayed from her heart. It was very touching to hear the love she has for her little brother. I was very young when he died but the year before he died, he came to visit Los Angeles. He got to do all of the tourist hot spots; Universal Studios, Hollywood, Disneyland, and his most favorite a Dodger Game. He died at the age of 15, but aspired to be a baseball player with the Dodgers. He was a very valuable player on a couple of teams in Mexico.

What really got me the most was although he was so young and my mom had little interaction with him, it was still her baby brother who had a lot ahead of him. It got me thinking of a few people, my 15 year old sister, my friend who lost her boyfriend, and my friend who recently lost a sister. My sister spent her 15th birthday on an airplane to Mexico the week before. When I would think about how young my Uncle was when his life was over, I always wondered how much did my Uncle affect the people around him. But thinking about my sister now at her age and all things she represents for my family and myself, I could really feel and sympathize with my mom, aunt and grandmother who lost her only son.

My friend recently lost his 18yr old sister just as unexpectedly as the death of my Uncle. I was so shocked and had no idea what to say or how to respond. My first reaction was to let him know that I was there for him if he needed anything because I remembered how my Uncle’s death affected my grandmother and mother. Beyond that I had no clue what to say, how to be there, or do. I read articles on helping loved ones cope with grief and asked my friend who lost her boyfriend for advice. But never once did I really think about asking my mother for advice on how she dealt with the death of her baby brother. Right now I don’t know that I have any words to offer him but now I know I can empathize and be there more than I realized I could a few months back.

RIP Luis Alberto Martinez Ochaeta
RIP Cliff
RIP Brittany Veal

Though each of your earthly lives were short lived, you inspire and hold a special place in the hearts of many. Your spirits are lifted and have not been forgotten by the people awaiting to reunite with you.

3 Comments:

Blogger Brian the Mennonite said...

I hope those people in your life who need to know how you feel will be able to read these words which you have written and find out that you care. I'm glad for you that you took the time to give words to these feelings. Your empathizing here in your space probably has already done more good than you realize. All the best...and keep writing.

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the insight. The death of someone in your family no matter at what age is hard for the people left behind, but for someone so young like my brother who had such a future ahead of him is something I always ask God why, why "this is what I ask hm in my many conversations with him". I always think of how much he would have accomplished but I guess God needed an angel in heaven. As you can see from my prayer at the cemetary life goes on but our loved ones who die are never ever forgotten and are always in our hearts. I love him and will never forget him.
Love Mom

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saying goodbye to someone you love is never easy. It does not matter what length of time you had with them. You also wish you could say or do one more thing with them. But god never calls someone to come home to him, without giving us someone in return to help fill the void. As you become older you begin to see life as having seasons. There is always a new season beginning as one season ends. Hopefully the person that is called home to god leaves you with something you can hold on to. Be it their kindness, sense of humor, strength, or a smile.It is so important that you find some way to let the people in your life that are important to you know how special they are to you. In the event that they are called home to God, they leave knowing how much you loved them. You always have beautiful memories that will never leave you. I don't ask why because everyone loved her in some way, and I know God loved her as much as I do.

Tribute to a Wonderful Mother...

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home