Friday, May 27, 2005

Up For the Challenge


I am so excited for my class at the Art Center College of Design's Night Program. The Intro to Illustration class is taught by the Clayton Brothers. I really enjoy doing art. When I sit down with a pen or paint set out to create, I get the best feeling in the world. For one moment out of my hectic day, I am completely at ease and calm. I'm not worrying about the deadlines I need to reach or the bills that need to be paid, I am completely attentive to the raw creation emerging from my mind, developing on the paper, canvas, or clay in front of me. As good of a feeling as that is I don't do it enough. I get caught up in planning and stressing that I don't allow myself to unwind and be free.

My approach to art is often methodical, which can be counterproductive. My first project in this class is to listen to 3 musical CD's, 1 of an artist or band I love, another of an artist I never heard, and the 3rd of a band I hate and create a piece inspired by the music. I found it very hard to find a musical artist I didn't like. I love just about every genre of music. I picked the Power Rangers Movie Soundtrak but ended up liking the songs on there LOL. The music I chose for my favorite was Sherrie Brown/ SPBR (Sisters Being Positively Real) and Jimmey Couzier. I chose a no name rap group for the music I hate, simply because all they rapped about was money, jewelry, cars, and women. My drawings were scenes from the songs and a few concept sketches.

Once I came to class and listened to Rob critic each students drawings, I realized I didn't quite do the assignment right. I didn't let the music guide my drawings, I let my head and thoughts create the drawing. Low and behold when it was my turn to discuss my drawings my teacher agreed. In seconds of talking to me he said, "You think too much." I couldn't believe it. I've heard this from many people before but not from someone I met that quickly. It's true I think too much I know it, now you know it. But my teacher challenged me to go home and redraw my ideas this time being free without being a head case. Now this is going to be hard. You don't know how many people have tried to get me stop thinking so much and work with my instinct.

I'm up for the challenge. Not only do I think that I will become a better Illustrator from this class but I think I will be a better person. One thing I have been struggling with is finding my artistic voice and style. When I expressed this to Rob he said don't worry about it. Once you are connected to who you are and what your soul is about, it will come naturally. When you paint with your soul, your natural essence and values can't help itself but come out as a visual representation of the beauty, mystery and hardships entrapped in the caged mind and body I call Tatiana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home