Sunday, May 01, 2005

Starving Artist

Starving Artist........It usually has such a bad connotation attached to it. But today as I started to plan out my study schedule for the final month of this semester, I really wished I could be a starving artist. I feel so overwhelmed right now with school work, work, and social life. There is so much that needs to be done in what seems like a short amount of time! I know I can do it, I always pull through when I'm put in a crunch.

Frustrations with all the work that needs to be accomplished, had me really thinking the life of a starving artist wouldn't be that bad. When I get the chance to sit for a few hours and just do art, I feel so relaxed. The starving artist is so enthralled and passionate about their Art that indulging in things don't matter. They only need enough to make sure they have a place to sleep, a place to do their art, and food to sustain them to do their art. I'm so accustomed to being busy with a myriad of things, that it's hard for me to just really focus on my Art.

In the last month or so, I really became proactive in pushing myself as an artist. But I'm starting to realize I could do more. My efficiency could be better and my exploration of my skills could be tested more. I feel like I need to do something drastic, something different with my routine, something different with my outlook and dedication to my Art. It's always interests me to hear my Art teacher's story about how he lived on the beach and slept in his car for a year. He got frustrated with the white walls of his apartment and routine, so he lived on the beach and slept in his van by night. Granted this was the 60s and times were different. lol But nonetheless I think it's time for a change. Living on the beach or being a starving artist, probably won't be the next thing I do lol. But I think after this month is over and I'm done with this semester, I am really going to get a lot of Art made. Start figure drawing again, challenge myself to do concept sketches, and make final pieces.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home