Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Portfolio Review


Today I went to my first meeting of the Graphic Artists Guild as a member. I was so excited and nervous to go to the Portfolio Review. When I first entered the meeting I felt nervous because all of the people were professional artist with impressive portfolio cases. I had no idea what to expect of their artwork. But all of the people were really nice once I got over my shyness. It was very humbling to be in the presence of contemporary artist that I admire as their peer.

There was a recurrent theme from all the members about my portfolio: DEFINE MY STYLE. Considering that most of the pieces are student projects, there weren’t much of my own interests in them. Some said it looked like 4 different Illustrators. Although there was a lack of unity with the style there were common elements and artistic choices that were apparent to the different reviewers. Here are a few of the comments and criticism:
  • Make pictures larger on Promo Card, make name smaller-doesn’t need to be as prominent
  • Study typography and be aware of that when making a piece
  • Tactile sensation can be felt, push that by doing printmaking and painting on top of that, take a screen-printing class, fine art printing class etc.
  • Do at least 1 full painting a week- a style will emerge
  • Color Palette is great- slowly lends to a style, warm color seem to be a signature quality in all pieces
  • Bigger is Better- make all prints in portfolio large, even if they were smaller pieces- for easier viewing of detail
  • Make 100 paintings by the year end/ graduation
  • Do a one-woman show as a graduation party
  • Do more conceptual art- prove that I am smart and good problem solver
  • Editorial Illustration- Entice the viewer to want to know more about the subject but don’t give them all the answers, let the article, story, etc answer the questions I posed in the art
  • Inspirational/Influential Artists- Know Contemporary Illustrators and Artists off the top of my head that I like and be prepared to discuss them and my influences
  • Take a class at Learning Annex or Extension course
  • Challenge my portrait skills
  • Consider mood and emotion when conceiving initial conception

Well I think that’s about all I remember for now. I know that this will definitely be an extreme challenge and require severe discipline. But I really want to see where I can go and take my future. It really meant a lot to me that people saw the talent in me and could see a future in me as long as I push it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home