Saturday, May 14, 2005

Getting on the Right Foot

Things are slowly starting to fall into place. My car is back! I have one more week to complete final projects, write papers, and take tests for the Spring semester!!!! A lot of work is ahead of me, but once it's done I will be that much closer to graduating and that much closer to getting on the right foot with my Art.

This week I spoke with a few of my Art teachers about my future goals. It was very eye opening. The common theme when Art critics or other Artists see my portfolio is I need to create more. Now you would think I am sick of hearing that but it's so true. I've been beating myself up about that simple truth. But when I ran in to one of my old Art teacher, Calvin, he reminded me that while my portfolio shows limited work, I just switched to an Illustration concentration a year ago. The other 3 years of my college career I have been concentrating on Video Art and Art Therapy. I haven't had the time to test and try out the technique and material of my choice, research the contemporary Illustrators and the market fully.

I haven't been giving myself enough credit. I just dived into this field and I'm comparing myself to peers that have been developing their skills and style for years. In my formation Art classes the Illustration students were concentrating on how this still object, nude or 3D design will translate into their Illustrations, while I was trying to apply those exercises to moving graphics and therapy of children. Very different!!!!!

But just as I got comfortable with that idea, my teacher snapped me back to reality and told me I can't settle for excuses as a crutch for my lack of work and specific style. I definitely know what excuses are, tools of the incompetent that breed monuments of nothingness and those who dwell upon them, seldom amount to anything! So for real this time I'm writing down my goals and this summer they are as good as done:

  • 1 Painting every 10 days
  • 5 Quick Figure Sketches/week
  • 1 Old Master Figure Drawing/week
  • Visit a Museum every 10 days
  • Spend some time at Balboa Park
  • Sketch at the LA Zoo 3/Summer
  • New updated Portfolio
  • Comply a Targeted Mailing & Marketing List
  • Actively Fill out Artdom Notebook
  • Read Rich Dad/ Poor Dad, Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
  • Read GAG's Pricing and Ethical Guidelines
  • Read Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
  • Read Secrets of the Millionaire Mind by T. Harv Eker
  • Read Getting Hung
  • Collect and Organize receipts
  • Take Advanced Illustration at Art Center Nights
  • Work at a Museum or Art World

Wow that list looks really ambitious! But just as my teacher, Brad Weinman, said in his Business talk, writing down goals makes it easier to complete the task at hand. Speaking of his business talk, it was really great. Brad and David Tillinghast suggested some great books and insight into freelancing. Some questions they challenged the class to consider are:
Where are you at?
Where do you want to go?
What do you want to achieve?
Why are you doing what you do?

What is money to me?


Some cool quotes and points from the lecture were:
  • J.O.B.= Just Over Broke
  • Pursue happiness first, money second!
  • Model yourself after successful people, You become the average of the 5 closest people in your life. ie Salary, Lifestyles, Values.
  • Rich spend money on assets.
  • Diversification is key.
  • Solid bookkeeping can mean big payoffs in tax return. $450 Bob Hall Accountant-Burbank
  • If a shark doesn't move it dies. Keep up the momentum and cover every aspect of the "Illustration Freelancing Wheel of Success" each "spoke of the wheel must be hit to keep it rolling. Wheel Spokes:
1. Direct Mail-Good Target List, Be Consistent/Persistent, Follow-Up Call, Specialized
Promotion- Stand out
and Crafted Books
2. Self Publishing- Special Edition Portfolios, Hand Crafted Books, Children's Books
3. Directories- Not as effective, Society of Illustrators, GAG, American Showcase, 3 by 3,
Workbook, etc

4. Galleries- Commercial Art crossover to Fine Art, Group Shows, One-Person Show

5. Annual Awards: Highly effective, selected by a jury, Crem de la Crem- Com Arts,
Graphis,
Spectrum, Juxtapose, CYMK, etc
6. Internet-Online portfolios, E-stores, eBay, email marketing, newsletters


So as you can see it was a great talk with good advice! Looking over this article already makes me feel like I have accomplished something. Since this talk yesterday to this afternoon, I have set up the beginning phases for a online store with personalized merchandise. I hope to have 3 stores fully launched and running by the end of the summer.
Stores:
1. Illustrations and Fine Art Designs- Prints and Merchandise
2. Greek Paraphanelia- NPHC Original Art Prints, Clothing, and Merchandise

3. Custom Design Solutions- Corporate, Organization, and Individual Commissions


You know what, I can do this! I have a really positive feeling right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home