Tuesday, July 18, 2006

My First Munny: Sculpting Phase

If you aren't familiar with the Urban Vinyl Toy craze, I'm here to introduce you to it. This is my first DIY Munny from Kid Robot. Many of you know I sculpt my own character heads. The only problem is, they don't have bodies! I chose to use one of my favorite character heads, BlueBeard, and I'm making him come to life on a Munny body. I am using Magic Sculpt, a 2 part epoxy putty, to create the facial additions. I love working with this material because it allows me to work fast, since it cures in 3 hours, and get a lot of detail and durability. The additions I made to the Munny are already hard as rock a whole 24 hours later. I couldn't help but make small heads from the leftover putty. I'm going to paint those and wear them to Comic-Con this week. I'll post pictures of those up as well. I might end offer those in a new product line coming soon.



So here is what you are seeing in the pictures:
1. I began by mixing equal parts of the Magic Sculpt. Once thoroughly mixed, the Magic Sculpt holds a little heat. I let the mixture rest as I drew on the Munny head.
2. I drew in pencil on the Munny head where I would place the facial additions.
3. Sculpting on the Munny head was very fun. The Magic Sculpt adhered to the vinyl well.
4. I ran into one slight problem when it came to sculpting the beard. The beard looked great but it was not holding its place. I want the Beard to be parallel to the Munny's belly, so the head can be turned without the beard being in the way. I didn't have any wire, but settled for a toothpick. I created a step system for the Munny to prop up his beard. It worked perfect!

Next step is sanding and priming.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, I can't wait to see the finshed result.I like it! I like it!
Love, Mom

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home