Thursday, June 29, 2006

Why Reinvent the Wheel?

I grew up listening to the wise and funny adages of the women in my family and people in my community. I'm a firm believer that lessons can be learned from the "elders" of the community. In the past year, I have lined myself up with very wonderful people within the art community. Any chance I get, I pick their brain. Joining the Graphic Artists Guild, Society of Illustrators Los Angeles, and becoming a charter member of a student chapter of the Society of Illustrators Los Angeles at CSU, Northridge; I have gotten valuable information about the Illustration field, won a great digital camera, met art directors, went to ICON 4, been a featured artist for the Graphic Artists Guild, and did I mentioned I learned a lot! All of this happened in my final year as a college student. Now that I am done with school and graduation is behind me it's time to take all that advice and connections and put it in action.

One of the most commonly asked question I receive now is, So what are you going to do now? Good question, simple answer. Do art! When I say that I get an array of responses like, "Oh so your going to be a starving artist", "Let me know when you get a real job", or my favorite "It's amazing you are doing something you are passionate about." At the moment I'm doing pretty well doing art and making a decent living out of it. I have a full time web design job and plenty of freelance web design and illustration projects keeping me busy. This is great right now but my ultimate goal is to be a full time freelance Illustrator.

Before picking up the Artists & Graphic Designers Market 2006, I thought I was on a 3-5 year path to that goal. But I read a very interesting and insightful journal by Holli Conger on her path to becoming an Illustrator within 1 year! I'm going to take a lot of her advice along with the knowledge I've learned from my network and my good friends that are marketing geniuses and make my dream happen.

This Road to Artdom just got a little bit more fun and exciting for me. Check back later this week to read my action plan to see where my journey will lead me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tatiana said...

Thank you! Joining the professional orgs has been the best thing. I will be updating my progress in my journal.

10:30 PM  
Blogger Willie Baronet said...

I am enjoying your blog. :-) This post especially. I've been in the design and illustration biz for many years, and have just made a switch myself. I also now say that my plan is to do art, so I can relate to your story. And if there is anything this "elder" can do in the way of brain picking, let me know. :-)

Best of luck to you!

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home